COLOURFULWORLD

Friday 20 February 2015

Fig Jam with Port wine Recipe

Our wonderful fig tree is packed with figs this year. They ripened quite early too, probably due to the very hot weather.
Every other day I pick them and apart from taking some to work, giving to family and friends and eating a few, my bounty is far too big to be consumed at home.

So I have made Fig Jam, and for the first time I also made Fig Chutney and Preserved Figs.

They all taste wonderful, and now I can have a taste of a beautiful summer fruit well into winter.

Our fig tree, small but productive





Fig Jam Recipe


Ingredients:

1,800kg figs, washed and quartered.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Lemon juice
1 cup Port Wine
2 Cinnamon sticks
You could add a little bag of fresh rosemary as well.


Preparation:

Put the figs in a pot with the sugar and let absorb for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
Add the lemon juice, Port wine, cinnamon sticks and rosemary, and let the mixture boil until the sugar is totally dissolved. Reduce the temperature and let simmer until the fruit is soft and the liquid is thick - about 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and pour into sterilized jars. When cool refrigerate.
                                                    
                                              

I filled quite a lot of small jars that I'm taking to family overseas.
And yes, I'm off in less than 24 hours!! Can't wait for our well deserved break!
Hopefully I'll be able to blog a bit and give you a glimpse of what I'm up to in Amsterdam or Lisbon.
See you soon.

7 comments:

  1. Those figs look so yummy!
    Have a great trip and enjoy the time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pitty you can't bring some for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be able to enjoy the figs all year Sami.. I made strawberry jam once, home made is so much better :) have a super holiday, see you when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, what else can I say - and thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.