COLOURFULWORLD

Tuesday 26 May 2015

Garden inspiration

We've been "remodeling" our garden for the last couple of months - first we had the grass removed, well we couldn't really call it grass!
There were plenty of weeds in it, probably more weeds than grass...

I would love to have a native garden with low maintenance plants that don't require a lot of water or time to care for them!
I love succulents and have been collecting them and propagating some of them too, so that I have enough for our garden project...but apart from that my husband and I are a bit of garden novices.




Looking for some inspiration, this past Sunday we visited Zanthorrea Nursery in Maida Vale in the Perth Hills.
Oh what a beautiful place! Everything was so neat, the plants all separated into different zones - ground covers, Kangaroo Paws, Grevilleas, Succulents, Herbs...
Quite enchanting! They even had a kid's playground, garden art...

So many ideas whirling around, now I have to put pen to paper and draw some designs so that we can decide what to buy and where to plant!
Plant your flower seeds now for Spring
How about this wooden frog?
I like this metal ostrich too...
The kids playground in the middle of all the greenery
Grevillea - Pink Pokers - Can you see the bees?
Grevillea
Banksia Spinulosa "Birthday Candles"

Flowers from a Gum tree - another bee inside one of the flowers...
How about this metal Xanthorrhoea or Grass tree (natural to Australia)


Dinosaur and egg




Can you spot the bee?


Sorry I didn't write down names of all the plants....I'll go back for sure when we're ready to start planting.

In an area reserved for staff I saw this cute sign.


Can't wait to see our garden finished, but unfortunately these things take time and a lot of work and money. Maybe by Spring it will be all done hopefully!

21 comments:

  1. "Funny", we wanted to go to the nursery today, too (Ingo was/is unwell) - such different options we have considering the flowers!
    Awww, love the Dinosaur and egg.
    The last pic is great for sure, Sami :-) Guess I´ll print it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope Ingo is feeling better. Yes, some of these flowers/plants would probably not do too well there with the lack of sun I presume.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sure you can print it! It is quite funny isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yips :-) And Ingo is better, too, thank you.

      Delete
  3. There is enough stuff to fill your garden with I think. We had a garden renovation last year too, done by professionals. All huge trees dated from thirty five years ago are gone now and we see the light and our garden at last now again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, we also had a big Ficus removed from the front garden shortly after we bought the house, because it made our bedroom very dark and also had invasive roots which were going under the house.

      Delete
  4. Always fun to have a mooch round a garden centre, Sami, and I loved those metal sculptures. They wouldn't 'go' at all in ours but that doesn't stop me liking them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, most of them would be too big for our garden too, but I also liked them!

      Delete
  5. Always fun to have a mooch round a garden centre, Sami, and I loved those metal sculptures. They wouldn't 'go' at all in ours but that doesn't stop me liking them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that frog! there are such awesome ideas, it is hard to just focus on what you can fit into your own garden. (and how much maintenance you want to do). Josh on Gardening Australia is in your area - he always has the most awesome ideas - http://joshshouse.com.au/about-the-project/the-property/landscape-plans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Gill. I always admired his garden when I see Gardening Australia.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Sami,
    Hilarious sign in your last photo! It made me laugh out loud.
    That frog was my favorite; would adopt him/her in a whim.
    Also the ostrich looked cute.
    Lovely plants and don't we all just wish for an easier garden?
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette, the sign is quite funny! I like the frog, but would prefer the ostrich in my garden. I agree, we all want an easier garden!

      Delete
  8. "Australia Native Plants"... A place I would definitely spend some time. Beautiful plant shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jose. My favourites are the succculents!

      Delete
    2. I have a thing for succulents too! :-)

      Delete
  9. Such a good idea to get rid of the lawn Sami, I'd really like to also but we have too much. You'll have to keep us up to date with the progress. That's a nice looking nursery, I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lawned area was also very big,more in the front than the back actually, but too much work and watering.
      It's worth a visit Grace, very well laid out and well kept.

      Delete
  10. I love gardens, just not the work that goes into them. Living in Arizona we have a lot of rock landscaping ( not my favorite) and I have a pot of strawberries growing for my grandson's pleasure. I'd like to see that metal ostrich in my garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have strawberries too, although I can't say I've eaten many...I think the birds get them first.
    That ostrich would look fabulous in a garden!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.