COLOURFULWORLD

Monday 4 July 2016

Monday Mural - Amalia by VIHLS

This mural in the Alfama district of Lisbon was sculpted by Portuguese artist Alexandre Farto, AKA VILHS in collaboration with pavers from Lisbon's Municipality and was inaugurated in July 2015. 







It can be found at Rua de Sao Tome (St Tome street) in Alfama.
It pays homage to the great Portuguese fado singer - Amalia Rodrigues, but also the cobblestone pavers who are the artists of Lisbon's beautiful basalt and limestone pavements.


Other murals I found in Lisbon of Fado singer Amalia Rodrigues:





The above mural,  near Avenida da Liberdade in a little lane called "Travessa de Santo Antao", was painted by Mr Dheo and Mosaik, and was created in 2009,  10 years after her death.

This drop-cloth painting of Amalia hangs from the facade of the "Fado Museum", installed in what used to be the singer's home, at Rua Sao Bento 193.


Hope you've enjoyed all 3 murals. If  you would like to see other murals from around the world please click on this link.


20 comments:

  1. Nice hommages to a very famous singer. Great ones. Especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful murals, that first one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sami, what a lovely collection of interesting murals. I have never seen any like the first one before. The buildings are charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit Tom. It was the first time I saw this type of mural too.

      Delete
  4. Impressive, especially the first one. Beautiful, all of them.
    The second one would fit to Cuba as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris, I had read about it a while back and had to go in search of it!

      Delete
  5. I got excited when I saw the first shot Sami, I thought we had another Vilhs in Perth :) the process of his work is too fabulous. I can imagine Lisbon would have the most incredible street art. Thanks so much for the tip-off about ArtByDestroy, I should have recognized his work, his portraits are so similar to Jerome Davenports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, sadly not in Perth, wish he would do another mural here.
      I found a lot of murals and there were many that I didn't see as I just didn't have the time to walk around, but I probably photographed over 30 murals. I actually had that picture saved in a file I have of murals, that's why I knew, but they do have similar work when it comes to the portraits they paint.

      Delete
  6. Such interesting murals and in such interesting spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first one is particularly beautiful and extraordinary - is it made with the pavers or painted on, I'm having a should have gone to Specsavers moment?!
    Have a lovely week Sami.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol,yes Wren,you should have gone to Specsavers! It's made with the cobblestones not painted.

      Delete
  8. That first one is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Sami,
    LOVE that first mural as it does blend in with the road so uniquely! Very artistically done, considering its angle.
    The drop down cloth is also very well, showing her passionately alive.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette, I agree, the mural is unique.

      Delete
  10. I know I'm late getting here, but I really enjoyed these three very different interpretations of Amalia Rodrigues' face. Each so different because of their substrates, yet all seem to share a love for this woman I've never heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, she was Portugal's best Fado singer.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.