COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 1 June 2017

Fluffy gets detained!

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from work, I picked a couple of letters from the postbox and one of them was a $100 speed fine for exceeding the speed limit by 8km! Brrr, I was mad at myself for doing it, and for the waste of money too. Luckily I won't be losing any demerit points.😡

At home I noticed Fluffy wasn't around - as the days are getting cooler, all the cats can usually be found sleeping in our bed or otherwise catching a few rays of sun outside on the backyard deck. The other two cats - Twiggy and Shelley were on the bed.

I called for him outside, but he didn't come and I thought nothing of it as sometimes he wonders about but always comes home before their 6pm dinner time.



It was about 5,30 when the Ranger knocked on our door asking for our son. My husband told him our son no longer lived at home and the Ranger said ok and was about to return to his van, when my husband asked what it was about. 
He replied that a cat registered under my son's name, and identifiable via his microchip, had been picked up by the Ranger at the call of one of the street's residents and was being detained in the Como animal care facility.

I presume Fluffy ventured outside the garden, obviously went into someone else's garden, and since he doesn't wear a collar (he destroys them pretty quickly so I gave up) they must have thought that he might have been lost and called the Ranger.
I can't really figure out why though, because he looks well cared for, and I would have waited a day or two to see if the cat stuck around or just went. There are quite a few cats in the street and I often get visits from other cats in my garden but I never called the Ranger, I just thought they came to socialize with my cats and I know cats love to investigate their surroundings.

So poor Fluffy spent the night in kennels. The pound only opens from 12 to 3pm daily, which is certainly not a convenient time for working people. Luckily today I was starting work at 1pm, so I quickly dashed to the suburb of Como and was at their door just before 12. 

Had to fill in some paperwork, show his registration and pay the fine of $100!!!. 
I was then shown to the kennels where poor Fluffy was. He didn't even move when I called his name and I had to pull the towel where he was lying and put him in the pet carrier.
He didn't even peep in the car either, even though he hates car trips, and at home, once I opened the carrier he quickly dashed to the food bowls in the kitchen.
I had forgotten to ask if he had been fed, so I just gave him some food.
Then I got in the car and dashed to work in Como (again) and was there at 1pm on the dot.

Strangely enough Fluffy is always so scared when we have visitors, hides away for a few days before he socializes with them, or if anyone knocks on our door he usually hides behind our bedroom curtains, so I can't figure out how he let himself be picked up, unless he was enticed with food...

Fluffy hiding behind the curtains in my bedroom after someone rang the bell
                       
Tonight he seems very subdued, just wants to be close to me or my husband, sleeping on our laps.
Hopefully he has learnt his lesson and doesn't leave our property again.
In the meantime we have closed the cat door and the cats will stay indoors for a few days, and I'll be getting them collars and tags again and see how long they will last...


Fluffy tonight sleeping on the couch next to my husband
Fluffy is also my computer companion
  Anyway, all back to normal, minus $200!! 😉

30 comments:

  1. Wow - dock that out of Fluffy's cat treat pocket money!! That's an expensive week - poor you :(
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluffy has learned not to wonder of, for sure! And your fine was not a nice thing to receive in the mail. Here at the office, the guys receive mainly parking tickets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I do hope he's learned from his mistake :). Plenty of parking spaces here, so fines are mostly for speeding.

      Delete
  3. Engraçado, a minha mãe teve um gato "Fluffy".
    Adorei
    Kis :=}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que coincidência Gi. Beijinhos e bom fim semana.

      Delete
  4. Sami, usas o feicevuque? Procura-me gi avogi
    Adorava...
    Kis :=}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what an expensive week! Hope you win a competition or prize to make up for this!
    Fluffy is such a wonderful companion though... So handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. Fluffy is really a handsome boy!

      Delete
  6. Oh poor Fluffy! And poor you for having to pay 2 fines in one day! Not cheap this little adventure your cat decided to go on! What matters is that Fluffy is safely at home. Hugs to you and Zé!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Celeste. He's been quieter now, hopefully he's learned his lesson! Have a great weekend and a kiss to you and Miguel.

      Delete
  7. What, 100 bucks for 8km/h?!!!! Bummer!
    Oh... poor Fluffy and yikes another 100 dollar?!
    Ewww, not a good day indeed! But luckily you were at work in time.
    And at least this very beautiful fella is home again!
    One day... we´ll live someplace where I can have a (two...) cat(s), too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. Fines aren't cheap in this country! I suppose it makes people think twice about doing the wrong thing...

      Delete
  8. Holy cow. I knew you said he was at the Ranger station, but I had NO idea you were going to have to pay that much to get him back.

    I know Squiggles hides when anyone comes over, but he has never wanted to venture outside. He wears a collar, but the tag is too heavy for it. He has a chip, though. Bleubeard, on the other hand, was born in a barn (true story) and for years would howl if I didn't let him outside. He never leaves the porch unless I am either out back or in the garden. But he is Mr. Social Butterfly, so he has worn a collar and tag since I brought him home from that barn.

    Your day was fraught with peril, that's for sure. Both fines in one day made it an expensive week. At this rate, you might need to get a second job (grin).

    Hope Fluffy learned his lesson, because he is a gorgeous cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. My other two cats are more homely, but Fluffy has a wandering streak :) It was just silly of whoever it was to call the ranger as cats are free spirits who love to investigate their surroundings. I would certainly have waited a few days to see if the cat was sticking around and might be lost.

      Delete
  9. O importante é que o animal voltou são e salvo.
    Bfds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sim é verdade. Obrigada e bom fim semana para si também.

      Delete
  10. LINDO, adoro gatos são excelentes animais de companhia.
    Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, tenho 3 gatos, este o Fluffy e macho e 2 fêmeas.

      Delete
  11. Oh God what a stupid action of your neighbor doesn't she know who you fellow are and that you have cats? Poor Fluffy suddenly locked up in a shelter. We mostly.see papers on a tree or pole to let know a cat is missing or found in the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also see papers pinned to trees of people that have found animals or are looking for their lost pets. It was silly to call the ranger straight away...

      Delete
  12. That's incredible Sami, I mean cats are known for roaming around a bit! Did you ever find out which neighbour it was? I can't believe you got a fine! How on earth are you expected to stop cats exploring, as long as they come back for the night. And a speeding ticket to boot, that was an expensive period ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my opinion Grace. When I went to pick up Fluffy, I asked but he was vague about it and just said he was picked up on our street. But when I was paying the fine the officer had 2 books there, one was with the copy of the fine I got and the other book had a bit of a "story" there and had the address of who called the Ranger and I could see it was the person 4 houses from ours. Never seen them....

      Delete
  13. P.s. Fluffy is pretty cute 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. After all that stress Fluffy got the cat flu. Apparently cats have this virus that can flare up under stress...He's ok now, I noticed it 2 days later and started treatment straight away.

      Delete
  14. Dearest Sami,
    Wow, what a week you had... Can't believe they charge you $ 100 for one night at the shelter for a cat. A human being could have a nice hotel stay for that!
    But sure glad your got your household back and complete. There sure has been some trauma to it as he is so close to you after coming home. WISH our pets could talk!
    But like you mentioned, our cats can go outside and they have about 3 or 4 cat friends that love to just hang around with them. Ours also go for a visit, 2 homes down at the same side of the road and nobody bothers them. We are friendly to the friend-cats and vice versa.
    Speeding tickets can be unreal. Pieter got 3, coming home from the airport with a relative and not paying attention to the speed. Such a waste of money indeed but what can we do? I have to knock wood, never had a ticket in my life.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette. Exactly, cats like to roam around and get to know the neighbourhood. We also have cats visiting us and it never bothered me. Fines are very expensive here! And apart from the $100 fine they could have charged me $25 boarding per day (he was there just the one night) but they didn't.

      Delete
  15. Sorry to read you've had an expensive week what with one thing and the other ...
    Hope Fluffy has settled down again now.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, all back to normal with Fluffy, although he seems to be a bit more worried about leaving the garden area.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.