COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 7 June 2017

WA Day Long Weekend

We just had a long weekend to commemorate WA (Western Australia) Day (5th of June) which celebrates the founding of the Swan River colony in 1829.

This year I didn't join any of the festivities in some of Perth's suburbs and the main one in Elizabeth Quay, but still had a very busy weekend.


OFriday evening we had dinner at the Portuguese club in the suburb of Fremantle - the usual Grilled Cod-fish that they serve on the 1st Friday of every month. We hadn't been in a while, so it was great to meet up with friends.

Cod fish, potatoes and chick peas - just delicious!









On Saturday, the day was slightly wet and I spent the day putting the house in order... not my favourite task, but has to be done sometime!

Sunday we had a fabulous sunny and warm day (23C), so in the morning I sat in the garden in old shorts and t-shirt and started a new painting project.
Most of our furniture is solid cherry wood, which is a crime to paint (according to my husband), but we've had it for over 20 years and I think it's time for an update, so I managed to convince him I would only paint the dining room chairs...for now...so that the dining room will at least look a bit brighter and modern.
When it's all done I'll show you the before and after so you can judge if I was right or wrong!


Painting was started on the dining room chairs













Later in the afternoon we joined friends celebrating their 2 year old's birthday at the Scented Garden on the South Perth foreshore. Again we met up with friends we hadn't seen in a while and it was great to catch up.
Before returning home I took some photos of the city of Perth on the other side of the Swan river.
South Perth park and Perth city across the Swan River



 
Sun-setting reflections on Perth buildings and after dark city lights
















Monday was warm again with the temperature going up to 25,6C (remember Winter actually started on the 1st of June).
We had planned to visit an orchard in the Perth hills in the suburb of Roleystone, and decided to go have lunch in the area too. The restaurant we originally planned to go to was closed due to the public holiday and we were recommended Avocados Restaurant.

The restaurant was located next to a water stream with views to the hills. It was packed and the food obviously took a while to be delivered, but when we got it, it was quite tasty and the presentation was great too. 
They also have accommodation and function rooms that are rented for weddings, etc.
On the way to the Hills - a horse box, hills and flowers, houses on the hills and crash cars piled up on a truck




Avocados restaurant, outdoor eating area and stream, accommodation, our food






The stream by the restaurant
































After lunch we drove just a few kms to visit Raeburn Orchard, and were aghast when we saw the hundreds of cars parked near the Orchard and the huge crowds lining up to get in!
Really?? Yes, and the reason I was going to visit was because on Thursday the Orchard was mentioned on a TV program regarding their fields covered in Autumn foliage, being the ideal location for beautiful photos.
You see in Perth there aren't that many deciduous trees that turn golden or red and then shed their leaves in Autumn....in fact most parks in Perth still look very green.
So all those people had seen the same program I had and were there to take photos and to buy farm fruit too I assume.

An entry fee of $3,50 per person was even charged to enter the orchard, such was the demand!
There were 3 parking attendants directing traffic into an empty lot next door, and the poor neighbouring houses had even cordoned off their lawns with "no parking signs".

One of the attendants said that on Saturday they had 5000 visitors!!  They certainly must have done well with entry fees, extra fruit and other produce sold...

Anyway, we paid the fee, and it was actually an enjoyable afternoon wandering around, taking photos, we even came across a few people sitting around their picnic baskets enjoying the views and the warm weather.
Before leaving we went into their store and bought apples and pears, a bottle of pear juice and and ice-cream for each. I must say the fruit is very tasty, so it was a good buy.


Horses, rows and rows of fruit trees, persimmons and avocados



Green and Gold

I even felt like a kid playing with the dry leaves
Inside the orchard store - jams and sauces, fruit and juices
Sour Cherry and Salted Caramel ice-cream

And so ended a very enjoyable long weekend
Hope you are having a great week.

27 comments:

  1. "...for now..." sure made me grin big, Sami! I´m curious to see the before/after-pics, too!
    Wow, yes, I keep forgetting the most normal autumn-colors are rather rare in your place. They always make me both, happy and sad, knowing that a nasty winter might follow.
    (Btw: I have long streches of white space inbetween like from "Sun-setting reflections..." to the next text and even longer a space between "The stream by the restaurant" (which made me hungry!) and the following text. I´m using FF 53.0.3.).
    Looks like you had a way more active weekend than we did, lucky you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for now...Thanks Iris, I also realized looking at the blog via my mobile phone that there were huge gaps, will try and fix it tomorrow, I'm on my way to bed now.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Iris, I managed to fix it via the mobile.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend Sami, excellent series of shots, my favourite of course is you playing with the autumn leaves 😀😀 It always amazes me how many people are at every event organised in Perth, I'm convinced we have twice as big a population as they say we have! Can't wait to see how the chairs turn out, I think you are doing the right thing, white is so fresh and up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. You're right, there seems to be a lot more people in Perth, there's crowds at every event.
      I'm looking forward to finishing my chairs :)

      Delete
  3. Sami....
    Regressa ao meu bumilde casebre e aceita a brincadeira.
    Ja tinba visto algumas na outra rede mas é um prazer rever as fotos
    Kis :=}

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about the chairs. Can't wait to see the finished porject.

    You certainly had a busy weekend!

    Salted caramel ice cream.... not sure about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. Salted caramel seems to be very much in fashion. It was tasty although my husband's sour cherry was more refreshing.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post to look at and read. It really sounds as if your weekend was fantastic. Loved the picture of you playing with the leaves ... such fun.

    I like the chairs you've started to paint, they are looking good.

    Sending my good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, it was fun playing with the leaves.

      Delete
  6. I like the autumn leaves photo. Such joy! It looks like you are taking care with the chairs and the result will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, I'm sure they will look nice, I've got itchy fingers to paint other things...

      Delete
  7. A minha filha mais nova está a dizer-nos que quer ir terminar o Secundário na Austrália e ficar depois aí a fazer os estudos superiores.
    Se ela quiser, e provar que é capaz, estarei aqui para a apoiar em tudo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nao sei quanto ao Secundario, mas quanto as Universidades ha imensos alunos estrangeiros. Os estudos sao caros para estrangeiros, mas eventualmente se escolher o curso certo pode ter a sorte de conseguir residencia.

      Delete
  8. Que maravilha de fotografias e os pratos têm um aspecto apetitoso.
    Um abraço e boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to follow your whereabouts and surroundings. Always a busy bee with your painting furniture. I am curious at the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, looking forward to the results too, still another 4 chairs to paint...

      Delete
  10. I'm like your husband, so you'll have to prove it to me that beautiful maple (or in my case, quartersawn/tigerstripe oak) looks better painted. I stripped several pieces that someone had painted, so again, you'll have to convince me painting them is better.

    I really enjoyed your time out and about. That Avocado restaurant looked lovely and the food presentation was wonderful. The stream looked clogged with water lilies, though. I suspect it was lovely.

    I really enjoyed your green and brown comparison. I can't possibly imagine paying that much to take a few photos and buy fruit. I CAN empathize with the people who blocked off their yards.

    Glad you had a great weekend, even if you didn't participate in the traditional events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I hope I can convince you. That stream by the Avocado restaurant was full of lilies on one side and on the other side of the walkway it was clear. Life is a lot more expensive here than in the States...on average we earn more too.

      Delete
  11. I'm also a fan of Autumn colours and it's a bit funny that you had to queue to see some. Judging by your photos it was obviously worth it! Especially since you also got some tasty fresh fruit.
    The chairs are looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. Unfortunately in Perth we don't really get the Autumn colours (or not much of it) and winters are very mild.

      Delete
  12. What a marvelous weekend! Rich, fun, diversified, magic!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esqueci-me de mencionar esse fabuloso prato de bacalhau!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sempre bom comer um prato de bacalhau e matar saudades. Obrigada Catarina.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.